RIA S500 Workshops
Understanding how to effectively use and apply the ANSI/IICRC S500 Standard for Professional Water Damage Restoration
This workshop is designed to help train RIA members and other industry stakeholders on the effective use and application on the recently released S500. The workshop format is interactive as developed by S500 consensus body chair Mickey Lee, and will focus on the key elements of the latest revision of the ANSI/IICRC’s S500 Standard. The S500 is the generally accepted Standard of Care within the water damage restoration and drying industry and will help restorers, insurers, contractors, third-party administrators and building inspectors to understand how to properly handle water intrusions of different categories and classes.
This workshop will also address the key legal and risk management issues a restorer needs to consider with well-known subject matter experts Michael Bowdoin or Ed Cross to present in the US workshops. In Canada a local expert will present on risk management and insurance issues.
In this workshop the course facilitators will focus on applying these procedures to best serve the needs of the project which can lead to better outcomes for all stakeholders on a water loss.
Throughout the day, questions like these will be addressed:
- How do I handle water intrusions with varying degrees of contamination (i.e. Category 1, 2, 3 and regulated contaminants)?
- How do I determine the initial amount of dehumidification equipment in residential and commercial buildings?
- What are the key changes between the 3rd Edition and the 4th Edition that most impacts job processes and decisions?
- When do I perform controlled demolition to speed-up the restoration process?
- When should I use anti-microbial biocides on a water damage project?
- How many air movers and air-filtration devices should be used on a project?
- How can I convince a Third-party Administrator that I placed the right amount of equipment on a job?
- What comes first; drying materials or controlled demolition?
- What is next for the S500 standards?
- What is the difference between the “Standard” and the “Reference Guide”? Is all of it the accepted “standard of care”?
- How can I get copies of the ANSI/IICRC S500 document?
Course Developed By:
Mickey Lee has over 30 years of experience in operations, management, training, consulting, and writing services in the areas of property damage restoration, psychrometrics, drying science, temporary climate control, and structural drying services.
He helped develop and now serves as the committee chair for the IICRC’s Commercial Drying Specialist certification as well as serves as chairman of the S500 Standard for Professional Water Damage Restoration. He served on the advisory committee of RIA’s Water Loss Institute from 2002-2006. In 2003 he served on the task force for the development of the Body of Knowledge for the Water Loss Specialist (WLS) certification program.
June 7, 2016: Atlanta, GA, click here to register
June 24, 2016: Las Vegas, NV, click here to register
October, 2016: Mississauga, ON, Canada (This course has been rescheduled for October, 2016)