Step 1: Meet the Pre-Qualifying Requirements Education & Work Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent education
- Training school that teaches courses similar to contents and restoration
- Five years of verifiable work experience or three years verifiable supervisory experience, project supervisor, estimator, consultant, inspector, restoration company manager, facility manager, restoration instructor.
Step 2: Complete the FLS Prerequisite Courses
To be eligible to take the FLS Prep Course and sit for the exam, you must complete one course in each of the following domains. A certificate of completion will be required as verification that each domain requirement has been satisfied.
Domain #1: Basic Skills in Fire Restoration (both courses must be completed)
• IICRC Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician (FSRT)
• IICRC Water Restoration Technician Course (WRT)
Domain #2 Hands on Restoration Training: 28 Contact Hours
(the following courses can be used to meet the 28 contact hour requirement)
• IICRC Odor Control Technician OCT Course (7 Hours)
• IICRC Contents Processing Technician (CPT) Course (17 Hours)
• IICRC Upholstery and Fabric Cleaning Technician (UFT) (14 CEC)
• Ultrasonics Restoration Course (Certificate Required)
• Contents Inventory Course (Certificate Required)
Domain #3 Health and Safety (choose one of the following courses)
• IICRC Health and Safety Technician course (HST) (14CEC)
• OSHA 10 Hour General Industry and OSHA Respiratory Training or Blood-borne Pathogen
Domain #4 Project Management: (choose one of the following courses)
• Violand Project Management course
• RIA 2 Day Project Management Course
• IICRC Commercial Drying Specialist Course (CDS)
Domain #5 Building Science:
• RIA Building Science Course
Domain #6 Microbial Remediation: (choose one of the following)
• IICRC Applied Microbial Remediation Technician Course (AMRT)
• RIA Certification Prep Course (CMP)
• Wonder Makers Mold Remediation Supervisor Course (MRS)
• Indoor Air Quality Association Mold Course (IAQA)(3 days in length)
• ACAC Designation (RIA Approval needed to use this course to meet requirement)
Note: This pillar program is recommended for those with 5 years or more of active experience in the Restoration Industry
Step 3: Take the FLS Prep Course and Exam
After you complete the Prep Course/Exam Registration, Click here to register for the next FLS course and exam. Be prepared to upload the following documents with your application:
2. Certificate of completion for each domain of prerequisite courses that reflects a passing grade.
This is the final course for those pursuing their RIA advanced certification, the Fire Loss Specialist, and incorporates lectures, specialized presentations from subject matter experts in their field, case studies and group study work.
Step 4: Complete the FLS Formal Report
Bring a draft of your Formal Report to the FLS Course and receive immediate guidance and advice. (your FLS Report is acceptable to use here.) Finalize your Formal Report within 180 days of completing the course.